BabB|e|iCiOUs

A message to myself..that's exactly what this is.. My own little niche in life..

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

"Finally Zeus decided to contrive a punishment for mankind from which there would be no escape. And so we have women."- Hesoid, Theogony.

It's comments like this that makes me wanna laugh my head off, especially if you take into consideration that the Greeks actually believed that the first God is actually a Goddess (Earth).. who gave virgin-birth to her partner, the starry Heaven (Sky).. and later they bore the the Titan deities (Koios and Kreios, Hyperion and Iapetos, Thea and Rhea, Themis and Memory, Pheobe and Tethys and Kronos) the three Cyclopes deities (Thunderer, Lightner and Whitebolt) and another group of gods (Mountains, Nymphs, Kottos, Briareos, Gyges and Sea).. Then the six pairs of Titan gods and goddesses bore about 300 deities and so they fluorished (known as the many rivers, ponds and lakes on Earth).Then there's the tale of how Kronos hated his father (Sky) for killing his fearsome children,a nd he planned with his mother (Earth) to punish him.. so when Sky covers Earth at night, Kronos came out from his ambush hidings and cuts his fathers genitals and threw it into the sea, which is part of Earth as we know it, and from the waves, a white foam grew from the immortal flesh and a goddess was formed out of it, known as Aphrodite, goddess of love (created from genitals! ).. bla.. bla.. bla... From the standpoint of a modern philologist, some of the explanations are as proposterous as others are self evident.

"And when Perseus cut off her head from her neck, out sprang great Chrysaor and the horse Pegasus"

How do I know so much? Yesterday, I managed to finish off one of my entries for the Greek and Roman Mythology long distance class that I am taking.. It kinda motivates me to try to finish off another entry in a day, so since I don't have any classes today except for a group meeting with Prof. Smyrl to discuss our project, I spent the whole morning reading on articles and a translation of an epic poem. I found it very interesting, and strangely amusing how the Greeks and Romans have described the origins of deities. Even learnt some new S.A.T words.. I'll definitely highlight what's tickled my funny bone and kept me interested in all this mythology 'junk', but not now.. later, after my midterm tomorrow kay?

Silly news: In New York, a restaurant have changed "French" Fries to 'Freedom' Fries to show their dissatisfaction of France's disapproval to war in Iraq.... what next?

FLAKE by Jack Johnson

I know she said it's all right
You can make it up next time
I know she knows it's not right
There ain't no use in lying

Maybe she thinks I know something maybe
maybe she thinks its fine
maybe she knows something I don't I'm so
I'm so tired, I'm so tired of trying

It seems to me that maybe
it pretty much always means no
so don't tell me you might just let it go
but often times we're lazy
it seems to stand in my way
cause no one knows that no one likes to be let down

I know she loves the sun rise
no longer sees it with her sleeping eyes
and I know that when she says she's gonna try
well it might not work because of other ties and
I know she usually has some other guys and
I wouldn't wanna break them
I wouldn't wanna break them
maybe she'll help me, to untie this
but until them I'm gonna have to lie to myself

It seems to me that maybe
it pretty much always means no
so don't tell me you might just let it go
but often times we're lazy
it seems to stand in my way
cause no one knows that no one likes to be let down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home